Thursday, November 03, 2005

"Sony knows ... what you listen to" - Internal techincal support says, "So sue us"

According to a comment posted on SysInternals:


Btw, I checked with a sniffer. The DRM system connects to connected.sonymusic.com and www.sonymusic.com and tells them an id number, apparently identifying the album. So, sony knows your ip address and what you listen to.


So, Sony is spying on you. Really sickening stuff. In related news, Amazon users are calling for a complete Sony Boycott.




QUOTES FROM AMAZON USERS:

THIS CD CONTAINS SOFTWARE THAT CAN DESTROY YOUR PC


DO NOT PURCHASE - Adam Sowalsky


DON'T BUY -- SONY DRM WILL CRIPPLE YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!, - R. Johnson


Sony's scheme worse than you thought - T. Rowe "Tolkien Fan"


This CD, plus all others by Sony that have copy protection, install Malware - PhilNZ

So, I called Sony's tech support at 800-222-7669 and eventually the obviously Indian rep told me told me to call Sony BMG at 212-833-8000.

The operator at Sony BMG in turn directed me to call the Sony tech support number. Talk about a run around.

Sony's internal techincal support says, "So sue us" - BSF (SysInternals)


So, I did a whois on Somy BMG's website, and called the technical contact at 212-833-7305. This resulted in me being transferred to an individual who indentified himself only as Sony's internal techincal support. He was very rude, said that he wasn't even supposed to be talking to me, and ultimately directed me to Mark's post and told to download RKR to remove the DRM rootkit. I attempted to explain to him that this program only works on NT and was no help to me since I'm running Win 98. He said that he couldn't do anything else. When I said that I wanted to speak to his manager, he told me that management was unavailiable, and when I said that I didn't appreciate this unauthorized and apparently illegal modification of my system, he said, "So sue us." - BSF

Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home