Wednesday, October 04, 2006

IIS: Internet Information Services Default Username and Password

After re-installing Microsoft Visual Studio .NET on my new laptop, I decided to play around with IIS. I am very experienced with Apache but totally new to IIS. After installing IIS for development, I tried to go to http://localhost in Firefox and was prompted for a password. Obviosuly, since I didn't set the password in first place I had no idea what password/user it is talking about. A lit bit of Googling revealed that the default username is IUSER_ComputerName where ComputerName is the name of your computer. So in my case the username was IUSER_Alhumdulillah. Now I know the username but what about the password? So I opened up "Computer Management" screen by going to Start > Run and typing

compmgmt.msc \s


There I navigated to Internet Information Services folder, then right clicked on Default Web Site and selected "Properties". Once another window popped up, I clicked on Directory Security and then modified the passwords using the Edit function.

However my next attempt again failed to login using Firefox, even after a restart.

When I tried using IE, I got through.

References:
Default IIS username

4 Comments:

At Sat Nov 18, 09:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank you. After using Microsoft and Google Searches to try to resolve this issue on my own, I came across yourpost and -- WOW. Thank you not just for your knowledge, but your willingness to share it!

 
At Mon Dec 04, 10:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, same problem here and finally resolved w/your help. Thanks Soo Much!

Cheers!

 
At Tue Jul 03, 11:18:00 PM, Blogger David said...

Thanks! Here's a post regarding allowing localhost permissions in Firefox:

http://forums.codecharge.com/posts.php?post_id=81959

 
At Tue Jun 03, 10:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not change the passwords in the "Authentication Methods" dialog box using the Edit method that you have specified.On the other hand, every time I close that particular dialog box and re-enter it the original password that the IIS had selected appears again.
The link provided by David, for the permissions issue in Firefox was good and I was able to use the IIS through Firefox.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home